Thursday, October 18, 2007

THE “KILIG” HOUSEMATES” OF PINOY BIG BROTHER, CELEBRITY EDITION 1

As we go to press Pinoy Big Brother, Celebrity Edition, must have already ended. I could only sympathize for beautiful housemate Bianca Gonzales because I immediately loved this girl when I first saw her in a commercial ad and regularly afterwards on “Magandang Umaga, Pilipinas”.

My fascination for people I could trace to as far back when I was fifteen (15) years old. In my childhood though, I would always dream to be a teacher. Rewinding the past now that I am in my midlife, made me realize my deep interest and love for people.

Despite the odds in my academic journey (I have had numerous “detours” in College), I was never for a second regretful landing on a behavioral course. I love what God gave! …and made of me!

It was but natural then, for fascination to envelope my whole being upon PBB’s initial presentation. I got even more interested in it because the concept was carefully calculated to suit Filipino values and cultures. Please take notice specifically of the lessons most intentionally crafted by “kuya” (or his team, on the background) in the housemates’ daily task.

Okay, let’s go back to Bianca. That is what this issue is all about anyways.

The controversy is focused on the friendship (?) between her and Zanjoe Marudo only because it is a public knowledge that Bianca has a boyfriend even before she went inside the house of kuya.

I can understand perfectly well the actions of both Bianca and Zanjoe as well as the reactions of the viewers, whether for or against. But I could only sympathize (as I said) and pray hard for Bianca.

We celebrate women’s month. Being so, we need to especially do something to effect “women empowerment”. But how could we when we do not even know how to discipline our emotions? When all we do, women, is to easily give in to them? And we shout to the world that we have the highest threshold for pain because we can sacrifice and suffer to no limits compared to our supposed “opponent”, the male specie? Aren’t we a little too confused maybe?

Allow me to go review what I discussed the past issue: “by and large, women are relationship-oriented and thus emotional because they are more right-brained; while men are logical because they are more left-brained..” Observe the housemates carefully, and you will realize that they mirror all of us. And instead of criticizing or fault finding (which many of us do best) let us learn whatever lesson there is to be learned from them.

Character-formation begins with self-discipline and self-discipline involves critical or logical thinking that involves the mind. God made all of us with a mind (inside our head!) on top. And I must say that character-formation is honestly difficult to attain for very relationship-oriented people because emotional discipline involves a hell lot of sufferings. So that when a person is unwilling to sacrifice and go through the process, he/she will be definitely lost.

May I also remind you that the process does not only involve actions on our part but deep and honest prayers as well. Our submission to God and willingness to do His will is the only way out of prison from the bondage of our self. Everything in this world is in God’s grace.

I could only pray, following nightly PBB, for Bianca to use her left brain more. That way she will have thought that, “moral and spiritual values are here to protect us, not to control us” (I forgot where I read this).

Coming from very difficult situations, the most significant moral value I share with everybody every time I am given the opportunity is this: in your quest for happiness, always remember NOT to hurt anybody. We are all children of God. Thus, we are all brothers and sisters here. And if we are aware of our eternal destination (in effect of our belief in God), we will surely double our efforts of sacrifice because we have to love our self first to please God. We have to please only Him for the sake of our “life after death”.

Clinging to someone who we think loves us is a deadly move. It is called “pathology of love” – a sickness a person and only God can cure. It stems from a very deep insecurity. No one has ever been spared of an insecurity-problem. The blessed few who honestly came out of it used both sides of their brain coupled with unceasing prayers.

I truly believe that an un-reflected life is not worth living, so I leave my latest reflection in parting: “unless we have gotten out of romantic love, we have never truly known what real love is!”

No comments: