Wednesday, July 22, 2009

STAR WARS

For over two (2) months now I have not yet finished the book I am reading. But I am still doing my best to be able to finish it because this is the only book right now I find quite interesting to read. My listing of the books to buy is long already but financial constraints do not permit me to buy even one of them yet. So I have to contend myself with what I have at the moment.

The first part of this book tells of the author’s analysis about the main causes of the wars of the world namely: political war and the war between religions. The political war was easy for me to understand, and thus, consider. What I am finding a hard time to be convinced about is the war that he postulated is caused by differing religions.

This brought me back to the time when my elder brother, who resides in Mindanao, and his wife visited me about two (2) years ago. When he learned that my youngest son was enrolled in a seminary (he still is, by God’s grace) he (my brother) talked to me in secret urging me to discourage my son to be there. His reason: Rome is, allegedly, on fire. I smiled in telling him that I am not about to tell my son what and what not to do. His life is his, not mine; that I am here to provide guidance and support only. His life decisions and choices are for him alone to make.

As I went further down reading this book, I sensed something wrong. I cannot, in my life, believe in anybody or anything that discredits and discriminates either his/her brethren or his/her chosen religion. It is my belief that an individual’s search for religion is dictated by his/her search for belongingness. Whether the search is caused by the wounded-ness of his/her soul or personality, nobody (or only he/she) knows. Although I believe more that it comes from the need of the soul. And the more that our personality is wounded, the more that our soul cries in hunger for an authentic power – the only source of healing. This is the reason why some people go religion-hopping, hoping to find rest somewhere.

My fourth son had asked for my permission twice to attend Christian services: both non-Catholics. On those two (2) occasions he’d tell me disturbing observations about malicious commentaries (as soon as he came back home from the service), after the gospel reading by the pastors, regarding our religion. From these accounts, I am tempted to think that maybe the author of this book is indeed right in his assessment (I just wish he presented his theory and argumentation on a fair and balanced basis) regarding wars between religions.

I don’t know if my observation is correct, but I think that in our effort to recruit or hold tight our people inside our religion, for whatever motive/s, we thwart whatever blocks our way, going to the extent of destruction. When this approach is observed to work in our favor, we continue to do so until this becomes a habit, transferring the habit to our flock; until unknowingly our loyalty is to our religion already, not anymore to God. The working of the devil is as subtle as that.

I wrote this neither to convince nor defend my religion. I wrote this simply because I see no point in warring over a belief that holds no water. The political wars are more than enough for us to handle already, and yet here we are adding more meaningless wars for meaningless purpose. Ano’ng kabobohan at katangahan ba ang mga pinaggagagawa natin sa buhay nating ito? Diyos ko, pagpalain N’yo po sana kaming mga anak Ninyo!

It seems to me that every religion would like to be the biggest and most shining star, towering over the others. The drive, guys, looms out of the urge for competition which, as we have discussed previously, stems out of man’s/woman’s insecurity. Every religion’s dynamic works practically the same way because it is composed of the same insecure people (pasayloa ak…!).

With insecurity as our main force we will remain starlets who think we are already stars. The truth is, we are no better than the others. We are all one and the same. The few ones who will stand out as the real stars are those who have got a real God in them through Jesus. And who determines these few stars, guys? Definitely, it is not you or me.

Love is not exclusive (M. Scott Peck). Unless our premise becomes GOD IS LOVE, we will never realize that LOVE IS BEYOND RELIGION. It is my fervent prayer that every religion builds better souls than buildings.

God bless us. My prayers for you, dearest friends!

No comments: