Wednesday, March 19, 2008

OF POETRY AND MUSIC

In line of my duty as a mother (and father) to my children I have to keep up with their pace. In keeping I have to follow closely and extend them my utmost support. For most of the times I enjoy God’s main job for me, but sometimes though I find myself at a loss because the genes maybe from my estranged husband comes too strong I find it a little hard to handle. Although I am naturally a music lover (maski diri ak love san music) I have difficulties when it comes to poetry.

The collaboration of my second (2nd) and third (3rd) sons resulted in about thirty (30) songs already. They have formed a band they call, FREERADIO, together with their cousin who plays the drums. I am featuring here my favorite because it is a personal prayer of my son. This song’s title is BURNING CANDLES. These are the lyrics:

Morning showers, Your Kingdom cries
Passing hours, heaven’s sigh
Could we turn to burning candles?
Frozen waters steal our time

Powdered fire on this land
Men are tired, “Could You give us a hand?”
Could we turn to burning candles?
Frozen waters steal this cup of mine

*But I’m graced and the land is fruitful
And I’m saved when I found this river

In my hands are promises kept
When my heart was captured and swept
When we turn to burning candles
Frozen waters still my soul divine. (*)

Honestly? Although I got to understand naman some of the texts I still had to ask my son some of those I did not get. Ganyan ako kawalang malay to poetry. I love people who are into poetry. Their work is a manifestation of their depth. To me they are thinkers who take life seriously, thus they most value and give premium on people.

Our older generation may fail to understand, much less appreciate, the music of the young today. It is because of this that I empathize with today’s generation. Yes, as it is the music of our age is soulful and thus pleasing to the ears. But if we try hard to find the meaning of the rather “noisy” music our young are fond of now and look beyond the noise itself, we will be surprised to find out that what they are doing is actually a desperate cry for attention. Today’s music is an expression, a far cry from the past that is basically music of impression.

Giving weight and applause to their expression is very rewarding for our young. As adults we have been kept busy with practically everything we laid our life on to keep busy about, and for what, to gain prestige; recognition; money; competition; or keep up with the Joneses? The possibilities are endless, as we are a people who are primarily driven by motives in order to gain synthetic or false power.

The young who are mostly left on the sidelights have grown up to hunger for our attention. They crave for our love. Ironically, now that they have indicated their need, mostly through music, we despise them. And as if our indifference is not yet enough, we further insult them by bragging to them about the glorious days of our past to which they find unable to relate. Josko, tika- dismayo na ak san dalagan san utok naton nga mga kalagsan. Pagkadagko na kit ngani!

I take this rare opportunity to congratulate the supportive parents and responsible adults of our community who extend whatever meager means to today’s generation. One day, they, the young of today, will overtake us as we retire and take on another level of our life journey. Whatever kindness we showed or showered them they will do the same to others as well. Your efforts of today will go a long way tomorrow. Kunta mauranan kam pirmi san grasya tikang sa langit basi magdamo kam. An kakuri gad man kay an kadam-an nagpipinauran san alcohol sa sulod san ira sistema sanglit nagtitidako ug nagtitig- dugang an problema. Baga kit an gremlins, siring san akon mga anak, may maupay, may diri maupay. Hain ka man?

If we find our young our problem, we will be surprised to know that we are theirs. Please pay close attention. Don’t be selfish. Don’t you know yet that you’ve been for so long? Bangin ngani all your life, hano? Joke!

God bless you that you may begin to decide to grow up. 2008 na!

No comments: