Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"WE CANNOT TEACH OLD DOGS NEW TRICKS", BUT...

A few months ago my officemate-friend, who's got a knack for counseling despite the lack of formal education in behavioral science, accidentally earned her way out of the 'routine sked' we usually have in our office. I found the unexpected event worked for her because she has a natural love for people. I could not help but admire her for that. Up until today she still works for our elderly whom we call 'senior citizens'. Good for them.

We talked just once since her transfer or assignment in that place but she educated me a whole lot regarding people of this age. Yes, as a rule of thumb, I am bent to believe a bit that 'we cannot teach old dogs new tricks'. But because I consider myself a strong believer in the innate goodness of people, my mentality (and sentimentality) tells me: who cares about teaching them new tricks? Wouldn't it be a little easier and so much nicer if we just loosen up and give them big hugs and/or kisses? You see, they also need to have a break. To be made to feel their worth, their importance.

In my small and big talks with people, either directly or indirectly, there is one very striking observation that never fails to hit me real hard: the main focus of their ambitions or actions in their friendships/relationships is the "fruit" that they can get out of it. Is it any wonder then, we see so much desperation and the likes?

In one of the dailies I curiously read this: a son was 'disgusted' to find his aged mother smooching with her peer during his (the son) particular visit in an elderly home where he signed-in his mother.

For what it's worth, please be aware, my good friends, that, however our physical attributes/appearance may change in the passage of time, our feelings/emotions do not. That is why I always like to call our connectedness, LOVE. And please let me say why all over again: because it is only Love we cannot get enough of! We are a people of feelings and emotions. No matter how hard we may try to convince and push this fact behind, it will always come right out in front in time to confront us. Stephen Covey of THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE calls this 'absolute natural law'. Our main problem which leads to another is our malice - our ever-malicious intent to "connect intimacy with the genitals" (Susan Muto: LATE HAVE I LOVED THEE). That is how sinful we are.

This is but a short, short opinion I wrote because I did this in haste just to come up with one and not miss out on us, dearly beloved friends. All I would like to emphasize in this issue is to NEVER PASS A CHANCE TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION AND LOVE TO YOUR OLDS AND THE ELDERLY PEOPLE in general. Let us say I LOVE YOU a lot to them. It won't hurt a bit. Grab the opportunity while it's still there.

Let me leave you this message for this issue: "The man of tomorrow is forged by the battles of today" (Lex Luthor of SMALLVILLE). Someday we are going to be the elderly. Respect and love we will harvest if we sow the same seeds to our young of today. Let us be good models to them by fighting hard this one battle via our love for the elderly. Let us be the dream people of tomorrow.

Gotta go, folks. God bless us all!

No comments: