Friday, May 29, 2009

SIMPLISTIC THINKING

Writing the thesis to qualify for graduation in my post-graduate studies is a no-nonsense and therefore, an excruciatingly difficult task for me. The very first part of any thesis, I was informed, is very technical. This is one of the two reasons I find it hard to accomplish: I have not only accepted that I hate technicalities in all forms, but that it seemed to me that I also have a very strong resistance to reading technical books or any literature of this kind. Besides, I got this feeling that I don’t really need to prove anything to anybody. So I frequently ask myself: what am I doing this for? Of course, I also find the answers (ask and you shall receive): our Dean is persistently asking me to (and since she is a dear good friend I truly respect and for whom I just couldn’t say no to) and is ever-present in every step of the way to lead and guide me (thesis writing is one of her forte); and maybe I need this to fulfill whatever mission I have in the future. Part of my belief is that, God gives me difficulties to prepare me to do His Will.

My resistance to reading the required materials led me one time to eavesdrop in a hearty conversation of about three of my officemates (distractions are normal in halfhearted tasks). They were kind of arguing whether or not it is possible to have a sexless union between two people in love. One of them has already evolved, as I know him, on matters regarding love. Naturally he will testify for an affirmation. The other one, who bears a rather “ill reputation” pertaining his philosophical points of view, outrageously negated and presented his arguments in full force. I was completely dismayed but managed to maintain my composure. It was as if I had not heard anything obnoxious at all, I appeared to be completely engrossed in what I was reading.

I congratulated myself for the inner triumph not only because it felt good inside but mostly because I was very grateful upon realization that I am a step forward, thinking wise. And I thanked God again for the leverage. Wisdom comes only from God.

I could not help smiling in looking back to the time when I would easily glide in and make “patol” to every argument or discussion I came across with. Tsk, tsk, those were the times of my insecurity. That is how pathetic we can get in times yet of our insecurity. It’s like we really need to do anything and everything, no matter how obscure it/they may seem, just to prove (instead of improve).

As I wrote this, I already am over two years in a relationship (that is more of a friendship) which is purely God-based, as we define it following our premise that God is love. And although we did make any commitment, or any promise for that matter, I am happy and contented with what I have with him. I couldn’t be more convinced that it is the presence of God in both our hearts that give us the feeling of calm and contentment (please refer to our previously discussed meaning of Attachment).

When I answer questions about our sex life, people refuse to believe that we don’t have that. I mean, not yet. And if in the future we will have that, nobody knows. The only thing we know is that, WE GO WHERE GOD LEADS US. At our age (we are both in our midlife) it is an absolute foolishness to even think about it. Eh, been there, done that na ak siton ngatanan. What matters, guys, is love, not sex! If someday God permits us so, bonus na la iton. And it will be what Gary Zukav, in his book HEART OF THE SOUL, calls a “celebration of life” – not plain sex.

As I move further in my contemplation, I really think that what led us to our failures (or what others call “sin”) is our simplistic thinking. This led me more to think deep and resolve why Jesus Christ in His time here on Earth often talked in parables. He wanted us to use our heads more. Sloth is considered a capital sin because we are lazy to think. The good and the evil are both inside our very head. And our laziness is driving us to evilness. When we decide to be plain human beings we choose simplistic thinking. Unconsciously, we chose not to think at all, because the other term for simplistic thinking is “no thinking” at all.

Choose to go beyond human beings, friends. It’s our only hope. We are, most of all, Divine. Strive hard to reach for that, your highest nature, because that is where our only hope is situated. That is where God is. And God is our only Hope!

No comments: